Monday, December 5, 2011

Review of the Zephyr HxM bluetooth heart rate monitor


Introduction
What is the Zephyr HxM bluetooth heart rate monitor?  The title is fairly self explanatory but it is a chest strap heart rate monitor that communicates via bluetooth wireless with an Android smartphone for fitness tracking.  Please note that it is not compatible with iPhone.
A bluetooth HRM is ideal for me for several reasons.  First, it reduces the number of accessories I need to have with/on me when I work out.  I carry my phone for music so the HxM frees me from having to wear an HRM "watch".  Not a huge deal for most but the "watch" accessory does get in the way when I wear gloves for strength training.  Second, because it doesn't have a "watch" and uses the phones hardware for GPS, computing, etc., it is much less expensive than most of the other high-end HRMs at around $99.  To get the most out of it, you will need to buy a pro-level app for your phone but that's only an additional $4-$5 and you'll get that back in discount if you buy the device through the app's website (See Software below). Finally, the tracking is uploaded automatically to the application's websites so you can see all the details of your workout including route, speed, heart rate, etc. without any data entry.  It would be great if it uploaded automatically to myfitnesspal.com but MFP hasn't built that feature in (yet). 
Hardware
The hardware itself is lightweight and comfortable and works very well. As is mentioned above, It is really just a chest strap with the snap-on transmitting module.  The module is rechargeable with the included USB adapter and holds a charge for at least a week's worth of workouts.  There is no on/off switch, it is activated when the sensors are against your skin. 
The HxM provides information beyond just heart rate like cadence so you can get an approximate speed even if you are working out indoors on a stationary machine like a treadmill or elliptical.  Like most better HRMs, these devices are primarily for outdoor exercises but its nice to have some additional features for those of us who do are cardio in the gym.
Most importantly for a device like this, it pairs easily with an Android phone (I use a Droid Charge running Gingerbread 2.3 Update: I've moved on to the Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0) and the connection remained steady even when using a bluetooth headset during the workouts.  Most lost connections I had were due to software issues, not hardware (see below). 
Software
Despite the benefits above, the HxM is held back by the quality of the software.  Zephyr does not provide a specific app but recommends several on their website. I've tried the pro version of two, Endomondo and SportsTracker, to try to get the most out of hardware and they both have a few shortcomings.   Both apps also have free versions on the Android Market but with some limited functionality.
Endomondo ($3.99) has an extensive library of activities, tracks and maps routes via GPS, and the app maintains a steady connection with the HxM with good heart rate tracking.  It even has a support community on its website.  I really like this app except for one major shortcoming: it doesn't take heart into consideration for its calories calculations, only an estimate based on activity, age, weight, and speed.   The developers have acknowledged the shortcoming and are working to rectify the issue but, until then, the calorie burn calculator isn't much better than the estimates on MFP. 
So, I decided to try SportsTracker Pro app ($4.99) from sportstracklive.com because it does use heart rate in the calorie burn calculations.  The app has many tracking features similar to Endomondo but its list of activities is much smaller and focused mostly on outdoor workouts.  For example, there are no options for strength training or cross training so you have pick a surrogate for those  types of activities.  This app did, however, do a better job at tracking cadence/speed for indoor activities and has a nice web interface for reviewing workouts.  The major problem that I had with SportsTracker was that it kept losing the bluetooth connection with the HxM, which kinda defeated the whole purpose of using it. Update: with my new Galaxy Nexus, I have no dropped connection issues.  This app is working great now.
My hope is that Endomondo updates their app and website soon, but until then, I'll keep looking for the software that will make the Zephyr HxM as useful as it can be.  Next up: SportyPal (no indoor tracking currently). 
Conclusion
The Zephyr HxM itself is a good piece of hardware with a lot of potential but it needs some help from software developers to help it reach its optimal functionality.  

17 comments:

  1. Are you still using the Zephyr HxM? Have your thoughts changed any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still use the Zephyr HxM almost every day. If anything, my opinion of it has gone up since this initial review. It has been working on both Gingerbread and ICS builds of Android and interfaces very well with both the Endomondo app and Sportstracklive. I would highly recommend it if you have your phone with you when you exercise.

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor. I had some problems finding Android compatibility info, but am really glad I found your blog. I have a Galaxy Nexus too! I've been using Endomondo for a couple of months.

    I'm still researching these, but from what I can tell, the Zephyr HxM straps around your chest? Did that take much getting used to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlza,
      I just got the HxM, it feels a little wierd at first but once I'm into my workout or run I don't even notice the strap. I will say that it did move around a little while doing box jumps but nothing so severe that it drop the heart rate off my device....

      P.s. Mike hope you dont mind me hijacking this :)

      Delete
  3. Did Endomondo update their app with HR/calorie burn correlation? Thanks for the great review. I use the Galaxy S3 and I was concerned that I couldn't use both my bluetooth headset and the other Zephyr HxM at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Endomondo did update the app but the feedback on the new calculations is mixed. I've found it to be fairly accurate when I compare the results to other means of determining calorie burn, but there have been quite a few complaints to the developers that the calculated burn is too high. Also, I'm using the S3 now and the Zephyr works great in conjunction with my Bluetooth headset. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your review. Also, thanks for continuing to check this page for questions. I hope you don't mind one more.

    It seems the Android folk are left in the cold if they want a heart rate monitor bundled with a calorie burner monitor. Have you tried the Fitbit or similar products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried a fitbit or similar device because I think that most basic BMR calculations in apps like MyFitnessPal (which I use) are fairly accurate for daily burn. I have heard good things about the fitbit and other devices though.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check out that app then. Thanks much!

      Delete
  5. I got the Zephy HxM to use with my Nexus 4 but I have AWFUL HR dropouts... not sure what to do. I'm using Runtastic PRO but I'm gonna try tonight with Endomondo PRO (buying multiple apps sucks btw!)

    http://dickheadmarathon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you fix the dropout issue on your nexus 4 Noe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had no dropout issues with the current Endomondo app on my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2.2.

      Delete
  7. I have an LG G E970 and I have not found any HRM that will work with this phone it is Android 4.4 version I have all the mentioned apps but not the pro yet until I find a HRM that works why pay for the pro version and still get no Heart Rate Information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the Zephyr HxM bluetooth heart rate monitor? ... fheartmonitor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the description of the device is located in the first paragraph above.

      Delete
  9. Zephyr HxM bluetooth heart rate monitor works with both Android and Window Phone 8. It is highly recommended by Physiologists and Fitness trainers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might want to thank you for the endeavors you have made in composing this article. I am trusting the same best work from you later on also.. order skinny fiber

    ReplyDelete